There’s something polarizing about James Lipton asking all his honored guest actors Bernard Pivot’s 10 questions. I find myself scanning through the video files to see how some of my favorite actors and actress answered these questions.
Some of them answer with comedic tones and others answer with seriousness and honesty. Mostly its a mix of funny and truth which I guess is why I’m drawn into to listen.
Mostly I think the millions of us that watch Inside the Actors Studio are intrigued by the simplicity of the questions, they make us pause and think about our lives or our legacy.
So here are Bernard Pivot’s 10 Questions:
- What is your favorite word?
- What is your least favorite word?
- What turns you on?
- What turns you off?
- What sound or noise do you love?
- What sound or noise do you hate?
- What is your favorite curse word?
- What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
- What profession would you not like to do?
- If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
There are actors who have since passed away and we have their responses to the final “Pearly gate” question including more recently: Robin Williams, James Gandolfini, and Cory Monteith. Their answers are listed below for our reflection:
Robin Williams – Interview 2001
“Theres seating in the front…and to know that there’s laugher, God goes “Two Jews walk into a bar”
Cory Monteith – Interview 2012
“Uh sorry I haven’t been around. There’s a good explanation.”
James Gandolfini – Interview 2009
“Take over for a while, I’ll be right back…can you imagine?”
So what are your answers to Mr. Lipton’s borrowed questions? Would love to hear them!